06 December 2005

Its about time....

Sorry about the lack of posting over the last several days--just not too much to report here in China. Winter has set in and so has a slight tinge of depression. The holiday season is among you, but here its just business as usual. Things are starting to annoy me more and more here as you get past what the foreigners call the "honeymoon" with China and settle into your everyday life. Now it is becoming more and more dismal and winter enters the picture.
Most of the problem that I am encountering comes from a lack of people to share the experiences with. For some reason this has always been a common problem. The other foreigners that are here are just so different than me in too many ways that we have little to talk about and when we do, it gets me down. They are always so pessimistic about the experience--and that says a lot coming from someone like me. I just realize that I am a little special in the fact that I have really had the chance to experience the good life and the shitty life really brings a lot of light and clarity when the times are good. When it is the other way around, it is difficult.
I didn't imagine I would miss Americans, but in a way I do. The only American to come to Chenzhou was Phillip, who went packing after a month. This is a good thing--I was lobbying hard to fire the guy and he certainly wouldn't have made it this far along in the game.
I have to just keep remembering that the end is coming faster than I want it to. Soon enough I will be applying for jobs both in the US and abroad and looking for the next move. there are many options to consider because nothing concrete has really surfaced as of yet.

I have learned alot of things here about myself as well as society and what people can really live on--it is both an amazing concept and one that is shocking to me. I just can't believe at times that people live like they do here, but it also makes sick when I think that people are buying homes in Seattle for the price they are going for--it just makes you very aware of where you are. That's not too say that either side lives a better life than the other--it is all in the mind about where and what is good and plentiful in the world. For me, I am just happy I get to see both sides of the coin for what they are.

No comments: