10 December 2005

Tea Crazed

Over the past several weeks, as my body begins to realize how vile and bad booze really is, I have discovered the true beauty of tea.
I must confess, that if anything, tea is in my blood. My father, being English, was a constant drinker of it until he had this realization that anything that was somewhat stimulating in life was bad for him. At once, for health reasons, he gave up all booze and caffeine and meat. He know leads a life sin free, except for sweets. If you want something from Dad, come bearing chocolate. It helps his menstral cycle I guess.
Giving up tea was the hardest for him, but the doctor said that it had to go. It just wasn't good for his health.
Well Dad, if you read this, I may have found a cure.
Red Tea.
It is actually black tea, but the processing of it seems to take out the caffeine in the process. The story of the tea is varied, so I am going to give you what I think is the truth, but, like many other things in China, it might be the truth. So, look for corrections on this in a later blog entry.

The story begins with the continuation of the story from the other night. When we went to this tea shop in the walking street, I was quite blown away by the culture of tea. It was my first exposure to the different methodology with the tea than what I was used to: Loose tea that steeps, or sits in hot water for a few minutes, then is poured into a cup and served with cream and sugar for more flavor. I thought that nothing beat a nice pot of PG tips on a Sunday afternoon with a good book, but that has all changed.
The other nights tea experience turned out to be a bit of a fraud. It turns out that the brick of tea that I recieved as a gift the other night turned out to be terrible. So terrible in fact that the tea shop that I went to today called it "fake".
I am still not sure what to think of the gift--if it was meant with the best of intentions or it was meant to show off to the girl that went with us. Regardless, it was a sham. When we opened the package, the tea was moldy and the package was not consistant with the good teas--it was wrapped in plastic. The tea shop owner or boss as they are called here, pointed out that good tea will either have no wrapping and you just buy the brick, or it is wrapped in linen and expensive good tea is boxed in bamboo. A good lesson to know for next time.
I was eager to try the new tea and on Friday morning I had taken the tea with me to a meeting with a fellow teacher, Mrs. Chen, who is a big fan of Guyang tea, which is a decent green tea. She bought me a couple of sample tins that other day to see if I enjoyed it, so I thought I would take this tea to her to show her and get her thoughts. When she saw it, she thought it was expensive tea and invited me to have it looked at by an expert--the boss of the tea shop where I spent all of the afternoon. She suggested to bring the tea with us and she would buy some others to contrast it against.
The tea failed in every catagory.
The tea shop where I went on my pretend date is on the walking street in the town--a nice little place in the heart of where the action is in Chenzhou. It is a nice tea shop and expensive--the first couple of times that we went there they charged us a 12rmb sitting fee, plus the cost of the tea, which I thought was silly. Since I have been there a few times now, they don't bother to charge me anymore.
When I went with the girl and the police officer, who is a regular customer, it was quite an experience because he is well connected. It is because of this that I don't think I will raise the issue with the boss about his bad tea. It is not worth the hassle. The boss, who is from Taiwan, seemed to have a good knowledge of tea and the different experiences--that is, until I met this boss today.
The shop we went to today has only been in operation for a month. The boss and his brother recently relocated from Yunnan, where the majority of this red tea comes from. They had been doing a lot of business in Hunan, trading their tea with the hunan green tea (which is not good) and the Changsha Jasmine tea (which is nice), so they decided that they would open the shop down here. The location is not the best--it is a little off the beaten path, but it is quite a nice little place, but is about 1/6 of the size of the big teahouse in the walking street, but it looks like his business will be centered in the wholesale trade.
My intial response to this place was not positive because of the immediate insults of the tea I brought into his shop. Again, as in other posts, my American suspecion of everything occured.
Tea is difficult to gauge because of the variant in trade prices. The Yunnan tea, which is my personal favorite, ranges from 130rmb a brick to 3500rmb and the taste, just subtle differences. The main difference comes from ageing. Red teas are treated and packed to last a long time. Their flavor retains its strength for many years. The 3500rmb tea is 25 years old and tastes like most of the other teas, except it has a nice smooth finish on it with some hints of walnut. Its quite an experience, but not worth 3 weeks salary.
I decided to give the 130rmb a try. It was a good decision. I am enjoying the first pot of some 80 that I will get out of this brick of tea. In another post, I will explain the process of making the tea--it is very involved, but it is easy if you practice through the afternoon. The key is that you dont steep the leaves--this causes them to become bitter--which is probably why the english had to use the sweetneers and such.
Anyway, I need to get back to grading the outlines my kids have lined up.
To be continued....................

No comments: