07 December 2005

Part of the frustration that is a constant in china is the lack of finding information. First, there is the language barrier, which is not that bad as long as you try to surround yourself with Chinese people that speak english and understand how difficult it must be.
However, within the culture of the Chinese is a total lack of a clear cut way to do most things. This is the main source of most of my frustrations in China.
For example: I was riding on the bus back to the University with one of my students. Anna is from the North, near Beijing and is much more educated and cultured than most of the other kiddies here at the University. I mention to her that I am interested in going to Hainan for a weekend because the cold weather is getting to me because I do not have enough warm clothes.
She offered to call a friend of hers who is a travel agent in town.
She rings the woman at about 9 at night and she is still working. She asks which way I want to go to Hainan and I say the cheapest possible. She says that there is a train, which takes a long time, but you can fly there for 1000rmb roundtrip from Guangzhou, which is four hours from here. I repeat--no, I want to go the cheapest way possible. She says this to the travel agent and they go back and forth, several times. I sit wondering what they are discussing. A lot of discussing always worries me because it usually means that my friendly translator is making decisions without conference--which never turns out to be what I intend.
"She said that it is just 1000rmb to fly. If you go to guangzhou, stay in guangzhou overnight and catch the train in the morning, it will cost you about 800rmb, so why not fly?"
We go back and forth on different options before I decide to think about it some more. When we arrive back at the school gate, Anna calls a friend of hers from Hainan and asks her what she normally pays to go back home. The woman cannot hear us clearly, so we agree to meet each other in the English department. When we meet, she tells me it depends on which way I want to travel to hainan. I say, again, the cheapest route possible. She says that the cheapest route possible is only available to students.
I gasp.
"Okay, the cheapest route to Hainan for me."
She spends several overly confusing minutes discussing the different transport options available. I laugh to myself at how complex all of this seems to be. There is a bus from Chenzhou, but its slow.
You can take a bus to Guangzhou and take a train to Hainan.
You can take a train to Guangzhou and take a train to Hainan.
You can take a train to Guangzhou and take a bus to Hainan.
or you can fly.

The prices are all varied and she doesn't know how much it is because she is just a student, so she only knows how much the student rate is.
I talk to another friend of mine later in the afternoon who says that there is a direct bus to hainan that leaves here each morning at 10:40am. It arrives in Hainan 7 hours later. The total cost: 150rmb each way.

I will let you know in a couple of days if this is the case.
I must go teach the kiddies now.

No comments: