18 May 2005

Everybody Wake Up....

Good Evening...
Well, I seem to have another gig on my hands. This time my client is an organic farm outside of Seattle. I do not want to go into eloborate (sp) detail about this place as I am sure that it will take up too much time and I want to discuss some other issues.

The past several months have been difficult ones for me as I struggle to find a position which I can see myself working for the long run. I went back to college so that I would not have to keep taking these jobs that pay low and don't offer much in the way of providing me with the capital I need to service my debts.

I remember when I was a young fresh punk, living life by my terms and doing okay at it. This was a time where things were simpler, rent was cheaper and people were happy making $5.50 an hour--okay, not happy, but able.
Now, I sit on the other end of the spectrum, where anything less than $15 is an insult to the amount of time and energy that I have spent learning life, but getting that 15 or more dollars an hour requires you to sell your self to the highest corporation because they are the only ones that can pay a person what it takes to live in the real world.
I don't want anything extravagant, but I do want a decent car to commute home to my decent living space in.
Alot of me thinks it is just Washington. The tax system here sucks! If I was a business owner, I would not open up my doors here--no matter how pretty Mount Rainer is. The part that is really nerve raking is that upon average, Universities have increased the costs of tuition for a state school more than 12% on average every year for the last four years--oh wait, then there are no jobs out there to begin repayment of the debt.
Yet the media doesnt cover this.
I do, some nobody with a blog on the internet. It is my personal story. $50,000 worth of debt--and for what? So I can have a better looking resume and still not get interviews?
Thanks.

As far as I knew, this is how the American Dream is supposed to work out:
Your parents get a little tipsy, pops forgets the rubs and 9 months later, youre born.
Mom stays home baking all the food while Dad goes to work or plays golf, then comes home and has a nice dinner waiting for him and a nice drink of choice.
I grow up in a good school with the other kids of all different colors and we all get along together because this is a great country and we are all taken care of. We all do well in school because we are all told from a young age that an education is the way to get ahead in the world and that we need smart people to figure out what we need to do to keep the American Dream from vanishing.
We play sports and get cars to drive our dates around in. We apply to college and get in and become fraternity men and sorority women who then meet and mingle and eventually graduate, get married, get decent jobs and start the cycle all over again when we get a little tipsy, I forget to apply the rubs and 9 months later, someone else is born.

But that is not how it happens.
For me, it was more like this: My family couldnt find work in Buffalo and they knew that the hard times and the reality of the hardship were just beginning, so they were forced to move so that their new family would have a shot at the American Dream.
They first moved to Atlanta, where we should have stayed, except my father was more concerned that his son was going to grow up a redneck racist, so after 5 or so years and the neighbours saying the word nigger or boy one too many times.
Next thing I know, were even further from my releatives when we move to Seattle. In Seattle I quickly discover that people here don't like people from other areas moving in and taking the jobs or the culture that they have worked hard to keep as they like it, but they sure like the money that the new people bring in because it raises the value of the property...
Outsiders not welcome. Move on.

So I go back east for college, but I keep thinking of how awesome the West is compared to the East--it seems like there is really room for advancement, blah, blah, blah. I come back here after I have had enough of the East again, but going to school in Seattle is a joke--the UW, the biggest school in the region (and the only 4 year public) will not accept me because of my "growing period" at SUNY and the community colleges don't allow for Stafford Student Loans-so after many years of struggling at various jobs that don't pay the bills, I keep thinking JUST GET THE DEGREE and youll be back on the road to the American Dream.

Well, thanks to George W, 911 happened (yes, I do blame ole' W and his war buddies for 911 and someday when that fucker is dead, we will all find out the truth). Since then, fewer people than ever are working jobs that actually pay the bills because this country is no longer in the business of trying to march the capitalist machine along for the good of the people, they just do it now for the good of a handful of people. I am not going to be one of those people--and I do not want to be. I would fucking derail this whole machine because I read and I know that the American Dream has become a derailed nightmare for the majority of us out there and half of the country is optimisitic about the future and trying to do what they can to make change happen and the other end is simply ignoring the warning signs and trying to get all that they can before the door finally closes on them as well.

Meanwhile, Bush is trying to rape the social security from the people and give it to his croonies so that they can just take, take and take more and more. What is funny about this whole issue is that he knows good and well that he isnt going to conquer the social security reform, but he will make changes to it, which people will get upset about, but what we should all be upset about are all these people who work at Walmart, who work at Target, who work in food service who do not have health care. Fuck social security--if we don't get people access to healthcare, most of the consumers that people like W and his croonies profit off of are going to be DEAD.

This my friends, is the American Reality. Bet this wouldn't get good ratings on Fox.

Your comments are appreciated.

1 comment:

CBO said...

Tim,

I think that being fresh out of college is confusing in general. Initially you are really excited about getting out but as things has progressed everyone gets at least a double degree, their MA and so on. The market is far more difficult today that it was a few years ago.

At least i've found myself in the position where it on one hand would be great to move on, get a great job and go into the corporate world. But the other side of me is still looking at the opportunities and ideas you have in college wanting to get that freedom and liberal thoughts back.

I completley understand what you are going through. But I think that you should start to look outside your first few choices and then it will all connect back to what you wanted to do initially. What goes around always comes around.

Christian