15 June 2005

Ramble On...

I am happy to apologize to the handful of you out there who visit my blog about my lack of journaling. After accepting a position with Cingular Wireless, I decided that it was time to take a vacation and get out there and enjoy some of the things that I have not been able to in quite some time. I headed out to the tri-cities and hung out with Heather and her family, which was quite a pleasant break from this shit of a city that we call Seattle. I say shit because the weather is just poo and I after going to the desert for a couple of days, I am convinced that it is soon going to be time to flee dodge and find something a little more accomodating to my needs.
But that is not for discussion this morning, I am attempting to keep a positive touch on things these days and not let those which make me turn to the dark side have power over my thoughts.

While in Richland, I got the reading bug once again. It is the first time in ages that it has hit with the ferocity that it has. I am just wanting to consume books as much as possible and it is such a great feeling! I purchased two books at the Costco-I know, I know, but I am poor right now and if they have a book that I actually want (rarely)that good of a deal is hard to pass up. I picked up the newest book from Thomas Friedman, "The World Is Flat", which is a look at how globalization is taking hold. I got a little into it and didn't like the descriptive narrative that he uses. He sounds a bit pompus, but I think I will be able to look past that when I get back into it. Globalization is a difficult issue to tackle because there is so much scholarly works on the subject, but I think Friedman is attempting to simplify it somewhat and draw his own realitive spin on the subject. He travels to where the jobs in America are being shipped off to and discusses the different parrellels that are involved in keeping the forces of globalization moving forward.

When I buy two books, the same thing always happens. The two stories run in a piss contest to see who can hold my interest for the longest. The victor this time is the first David McCullough book I have read, John Adams. I have managed to stay away from his work because it seemed to be a little too mainstream for me to want to engage in, but his newest book, 1776 seems to be something that everyone needs to read, so I decided to start with the Adams books since it is recommended to begin with this book first and move to 1776. I must admit I am engaged in the book--in the first 100 pages, it had tried to be linear, but it is all over the place, which is fine and it is calming down quite a bit now. In the beginning, McCullough couldn't decide how to start the story--if he should begin as most bio's do, from the childhood or if he should take about the future and move back. He effectively does both.

Anyway, I'll have more on these items in the near future. For now, I must part. Lunchtime calls, then an afternoon biking expedition.
More later.

No comments: