09 February 2006

The bus that I took through Lao--the hell journey that I think I have described earlier-- I think...
Ahhhh, my first dish of Pad Thai at the border. After living with Chinese food for six months, this was a welcome change... Delicious when washed down with a lovely Pepsi.
Some famous Thai Soap opera star--Click on the picture to enlarge it so you can see his lovely eye make up.
The bus as a before picture....
NEVER TRAVEL THROUGH LAO AT NIGHT ON A BUS.

I dont quite know what to say tonight. I have been in Bangkok for three days now and could imagine spending the rest of my life here quite easily. The weather is constantly beautiful, the people are for the most part friendly and happy--except for the foreigners and the tourist industry that surrounds supporting all of these people seeking their various conquests from the European sex vacationier (which makes me a little ill when I see 50 year old fat men with beautiful tiny Thai women hired for the week) to the touring fiends looking for the cheap deals in the public market (I can't talk too much about that one-- I have bought some nice masks for my collection and about 3bucks a piece and some fake Polo shirts, etc)...
All of this is a part of the Thailand that I am growing to love--but the real key is the low prices of everything and the access to most things--the language is fascinating and the culture, beyond the sex markets and the bustling downtown where I am living is curious. Buddhism lives here like I have never seen it.
There are some great pictures I have not uploaded to my computer as of yet, but they will be here soon enough. These pictures should be enough to keep you going for awhile.
I leave on Tuesday and begin the trek back to a cold and rainy China, but the trip has gone, for the most part, very well and I am glad that I opted for the long journey to here instead of staying in China as was planned a couple of weeks ago...
Special thanks to Mom and Dad for sending a little extra cash to get me over the hump in these last weeks--to Cliff for floating a little my way and for Andrew for making me see all sides of Bangkok--its an amazing time fo sho....

No comments: