04 September 2005

The first day of school in Chenzhou

...and I am not teaching.
There is a national diving competition here in the city and most of the decision makers in the University are more concerned about this than what classes to assign to the English teachers, so Mr. Happy informed us yesterday that we all dismissed for the week, so I have a 10 day vacation!
I had originally intended to go to Hong Kong, but I cannot as my resident permit is not even close to being complete, which means I cannot leave the country and Hong Kong is just governed by China, so it's a no go. Instead, I am seriously considering making the pilgrimage to Beiijing for a few days. It is a whopping 16 hour train ride, but I am ready to see this country! It is a whopping 750rmb for a sleeping coach roundtrip-- $93.75 in US for 32 hours on the train--not a bad price at all. The train leaves from Chenzhou and I will depart either tommorow evening or wednesday morning, depending on if I can get others to go.

Anyhow, it is time to get the day going. I finally discovered that they do sell my cell phone charger here in the city, so I am going to go hunt for it, get a sim card and see what else there is to do.






Here are some picture I have been trying to upload for the last week, but with little success. These are two students who accompanied me to the city the first time I went. They were very honored to be taking their teacher to the city for an adventure unlike any other.










Remember these pictures of me at this weight--I think I have already dropped 10lbs in this humidity!
















This was a great shot. Most of the college girls here arent like they are in America! The idea of Girls Gone Wild in Asia is taking them for a ride on the Ferris Wheel!
These girls, like many other women here, do not know how to swim, have never been on a Ferris Wheel!!! I took them on an old, broken down ferris wheel in the park and the about peed their pants--it was quite amusing.
I offered to also teach them to swim for $50rmb per hour!

Anyway, I am off to the City!












No comments: